Prof. Dr. Yuan Huang
Key Laboratory of Drug-Targeting and Drug Delivery System, Ministry of Education
Department of Pharmaceutics
West China School of Pharmacy
Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Tel/Fax: (+86) 28 85501615
2000-2003: D. Sc. at West China School of Pharmacy, Sichuan University
1993-1996: M. Sc. at School of Pharmacy, West China University of Medical Sciences
1989-1993: B. Sc. at School of Pharmacy, West China University of Medical Sciences
1996-1998: Teaching Assistant of Pharmaceutics at School of Pharmacy, West China University of Medical Sciences
1998-2004: Lecturer of Pharmaceutics at School of Pharmacy, West China University of Medical Sciences
2001-2002：Visiting Scientist at Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
2004-2008: Associate Professor of Pharmaceutics at West China School of Pharmacy, Sichuan University
2008-present: Professor of Pharmaceutics at School of Pharmacy, Sichuan University
Member of Chengdu Pharmaceutical Association
Expert of new drug evaluation of Sichuan province
Design and development of targeting drug delivery system and novel drug preparations and dosage forms. Of particular interest are three areas namely, i) water-soluble polymer-drug conjugates for targeted cancer therapy, ii) Duodenum-specifec drug delivery system and iii) Study of protein- loaded nanoparticles for oral drug delivery.
1. Tumor-targeting HPMA copolymer-anticancer conjugates
The purpose of this study is to investigate the potential of HPMA copolymer-drug conjugates for enhancing the targeting efficiency to tumor. Here we investigate the synthesis of N- (2-hydroxypropyl) methacrylamide copolymer-anticancer drug conjugates (HPMA–D), characterization of their physicochemical properties, stability in vitro. Based on above results, cytotoxicity and subcellular fate of copolymer in in vitro tumor cells, biodistribution in vivo, tumor targeting efficiency and pharmacokinetics in tumor-bearing animals are furtherly investigated.This research will potentially enhance efficacy of anti-cancer drug and minimize their toxicity, also will provide new method for cancer chemotheropy.
The research is supported by National Natural Science Foundation (30500636) of the People’s Republic of China.
2. Duodenum-specifec drug delivery system
The duodenal ulcer is quite prevalent among duodenal diseases. It takes a long time to be treated using common formulations or by administration routes, but the results are still in low efficiency, which is due to the specific structure and physiological characteristics of the duodenum. In this study, the drug-loaded microspheres are prepared using thiolated-chitosan as carrier material which is mucoadhensive in the acidic environment. A pH-sensitive polymer (2.9-4.0) as coating material is used based on the differences of the pH values between the pathological region and the other areas of G.I tract. A multiple targeting oral microspheres system for the duodenal ulcer’s treatment is constructed based bioadhensive and pH-sensitive mechanisms. The in vitro drug release, antibacterial mechanism, biodistribution in GI tract, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and toxicity are systematically investigated to explore the feasibility of this multiple targeting system and its deficiencies. The duodenum-specific drug delivery system with prolongation of the residence time of the drug in the ulcer region may be of great help for the segmental treatment of gastrointestinal diseases and the absorption studies of drugs. The duodenum-specific drug delivery system has not been reported elsewhere.
The research was supported by National Natural Science Foundation (30772667) of the People’s Republic of China.
3. Study of protein-loaded nanoparticles for oral drug delivery, supported by National key Tech project.
Current Research Projects
1. 2008.1-2010.12, National Natural Science Foundation of China: Study of duodenum-specifec drug delivery system (Approval Number: 30772667, Principal Investigator)
2. 2006.1-2008.12, National Natural Science Foundation of China: water-soluble polymer-drug conjugates for targeted cancer therapy (Approval Number:30500636, Principal Investigator)
3. 2007.1-2009.12. Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University: Study on tumor-targeting drug delivery system and duodenum-specific drug delivery system (Approval Number: NCET-06-0786, Principal Investigator)
4. 2009.1-2010.12. National key Tech project, Key technology of protein-loaded nanoparticles for oral drug delivery (Principal Investigator)
1. Fang Yuan, Xuan Qin, Dan Zhou, Qing-Yu Xiang, Min-Ting, Wang, Zhi-Rong Zhang and Yuan Huang*. In vitro cytotoxicity, in vivo biodistribution and antitumor activity of HPMA copolymer-5-fluorouracil conjugates. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2008; 70:770-776.
2. Fang Yuan, Fu Chen, Qing Yu Xiang, Xuan Qin, Zhi Rong Zhang and Yuan Huang*. Synthesis and Characterization of HPMA Copolymer-5-FU Conjugates. Chinese Chemical Letter. 2008; 19:137-140.
3. Dan Zhou, Xuan Qin, Zhi-Rong Zhang and Yuan Huang*. Physicochemical properties of bergenin. Die Pharmazie. 2008; 63:366-371.
4. Fu Chen, Zhi-Rong Zhang, Fang Yuan, Xuan Qin, Minting Wang and Yuan Huang*. In vitro and in vivo study of N-trimethyl chitosan nanoparticles for oral protein delivery. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2008; 349(1-2):226-233.
5. H.Y.Hu, Y.Huang, J.Liu, T.Gong, X.L.Xu, D.Xiang, Z.R.Zhang*. MCT (medium-chain triglycerides)-based o/w microemulsion for intravenous administration: formulation, dilutability and hemolytic action in vitro. Journal Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2008, 18(2):101-107.
6. Fu Chen, Zhi-rong Zhang* and Yuan Huang*. Evaluation and modification of N-trimethyl chitosan chloride nanoparticles as protein carriers. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2007; 336:166-173.
7. Qing-yu Xiang, Min-ting Wang, Fu Chen, Tao Gong, Yan-lin Jian, Zhi-rong Zhang, and Yuan Huang*. Lung-Targeting Delivery of Dexamethasone Acetate Loaded Solid Lipid Nanoparticles. Arch Pharm Res. 2007; 30(4):519-525.
8. Xuan Qin, Dan Zhou, Zhi-Rong Zhang, Yuan Huang*. Determination of bergenin in rat plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography. Die Pharmazie. 2007; 62(5):323-326.
9. Hong ding, Fang Wu, Yuan Huang, et al. Synthesis and characterization of temperature-responsive copolymer of PELGA modified poly (N-isopropy lacryl-amide). Polymer. 2006; 47:1575-1583.
10. Yuan Huang, Ling-li Zheng, Zhi-rong Zhang, et al. Synthesis and characterization of HPMC Derivatives as Novel Duodenum-specific Coating agents. Arch Pharm Res. 2005; 28(3):364-366.
11. Yuan Huang, Zhi-Rong Zhang. HPMA copolymer-mitoxantrone conjugates for targeted cancer chemotherapy. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2004; 14(3):187-191.
12. Yuan Huang, Anjan Nan, Gerald. M. Rosen, et al. N-(2-hydroxypropyl) methacrylamide (HPMA) Copolymer-Linked Nitroxides: Potential Magnetic Resonance Contrast Agents. Macromolecular Biosciences. 2003; 3(11):647-652.
13. Wen-Sheng Liu, Yuan Huang, Zhi-Rong Zhang. Synthesis and Characterization of the Tumor Targeting Mitoxantrone-Insulin Conjugate. Archives of Pharmaceutical Research. 2003; 26(11):892-897.
14. Y.R.Duan, Z.R.Zhang, Y.Huang, et al. Preparation of nano-HAP as Vectors for Targeting Delivery System. Key Eng Mater. 2004;54-256:887-890
15. Tao Gong, Yuan Huang, Zhi-Rong Zhang and Li-Li Li. Synthesis and Characterization of 9-[P-(N,N-dipropyl Sulfamide)] Benzoylamino-1,2,3,4-4H-acridine—A Potential Prodrug for the CNSDelivery of Tacrine. Journal of Drug Targeting. 2004; 12(3):149-153.